LESSON 5: ENJOY!
- Paul writes, 17 Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.” 1 Timothy 6:17.
- God intentionally supplies His children with “all things to enjoy.”
- What does “all things” mean in 1 Timothy 6:17?
DIG DEEPER IN GOD’S WORD
- What does the word “richly” mean in 1 Timothy 6:17? “ Τοῖς πλουσίοις ἐν τῷ νῦν αἰῶνι παράγγελλε μὴ ὑψηλοφρονεῖν μηδὲ ἠλπικέναι ἐπὶ πλούτου ἀδηλότητι, ἀλλ’ ἐπὶ θεῷ τῷ παρέχοντι ἡμῖν πάντα πλουσίως εἰς ἀπόλαυσιν,” The word richly or πλουσίως, pronounced plow-SEE-os, means to have abundance, to be wealthy or to abound in material resources.
- What does the word “enjoy” mean in 1 Timothy 6:17? “ Τοῖς πλουσίοις ἐν τῷ νῦν αἰῶνι παράγγελλε μὴ ὑψηλοφρονεῖν μηδὲ ἠλπικέναι ἐπὶ πλούτου ἀδηλότητι, ἀλλ’ ἐπὶ θεῷ τῷ παρέχοντι ἡμῖν πάντα πλουσίως εἰς ἀπόλαυσιν,” The word enjoy or ἀπόλαυσις, pronounced a-PAH-lau-sis, means simply to enjoy something, to experience pleasure in something, or literally, that which is “from-pleasure or enjoyment”.
- Does Paul seem to imply it is shameful to enjoy something?
- Does Paul seem to imply Christians can’t enjoy something when there are people who can’t or don’t have what we have?
- See the usage of in Hebrews 11:25 and the story of Moses.
- What part does guilt play in keeping us unhappy?
- It’s healthy to know the difference between self-induced shame or guilt and conviction induced by the Holy Spirit. Do you know the difference?
- Make a list of what you are thankful for.
- Practice worship by saying thank you to God for these things.
- Make a list of what you don’t have that you really think would make you happy.
- Is it possible that God is protecting you from something you want?
- Is there something you want that you couldn’t handle?